The practice was established in 1848 and James Storrar is the sixth generation of Storrar vets (all of whom have been called James). James had always wanted to follow in the family business, as a vet, from a very early age and his young son James Harry, 4 years old, to follow in the family tradition. James’s mum, Andrea, also works at the practice as Practice Manager and James is proud that a number of his clients can also trace their family association with Storrar Practice back to when it first started.
James’s Great, Great, Great, Grandfather, James (1st), started the Storrar Practice after graduating in 1848 and working for a number of years in Aberdeenshire before moving south.
By 1881, he had established an extensive mixed practice in Chester which also included stables and a forge. During this time he became honorary veterinary surgeon to the Earl of Chester Yeomanry Cavalry with the rank of Major. His eldest son David became a vet and set up practice in Abergavenny. Apart from seeing service in WW1 as a veterinary Major, he was also famous for showing Welsh Pit Ponies in London and demonstrating to the public the level of care the ponies received . His daughter whose son became vet to Her Majesty the Queen Mother.
Another son, James (2nd), graduated from Glasgow University with two gold medals, one for cattle pathology and one for horse pathology. He further expanded the practice and had two sons who became veterinary surgeons, James and Eric. two of their sisters also married vets. James (3rd) was in the Cheshire Yeomanry before the Great War and went off to Palestine with them before joining the Royal Flying Corps, and it was after the War he graduated from Liverpool Veterinary College.
James’s Grandfather, James (4th), after leaving school decided to learn to fly with the RAF. Before long he found he was fighting for his and his country’s life over the beaches of Dunkirk and then as a Battle of Britain pilot over the fields of Kent. He went on to be a Wing Commander leading a long-range bombers over Germany before leaving the RAF to finally go to veterinary School and join the family practice.
James’ father, James Andrew (5th), graduated from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Canada after spending some time working for the Department of Indian Affairs and the Canadian Wild Horse Association. He returned to join the family practice in 1978 and moved the practice from Duke Street to the current premises in 2002 where he built up a busy small animal practice, while still servicing Cheshire’s dairy farms and carrying out Meat Hygiene work for the Government. Sadly, his father died in October 2006.
James (6th) graduated from Liverpool Veterinary College in 2001 and worked for five years in a busy small animal multi-branch practice in Leeds. He returned to Chester in May 2006 and is enjoying the family tradition after Chester’s pets.